A Destination Management Plan is an integrated strategy supporting sustainable tourism within a locality. On behalf of the Herefordshire Sustainable Food and Tourism Partnership (HSFTP), the Foundation secured funding for the development of Herefordshire's rural Destination Management Plan.
**** From 21st August 2018 Brightspace is inviting tenders for Phase One (a Feasibility Study) of the Herefordshire Destination Business Improvement District*****
Please note: this is a two stage tendering process:
- Stage 1: Expression of Interest
- Stage 2: Invitation to Full Tender
To find out more about how to tender and our deadlines, please read the full Invitation to Tender document here.
Areas that have an integrated tourism Destination Management Plan (DMP) are able to maximise the economic potential of their tourism economy. Tourism is important locally, estimated to be worth almost half a billion pounds to Herefordshire's economy and supporting 9% of the county's employment. The latest published data for Herefordshire indicates there are more than 5 million visitors per year, though over 80% of these were day visitors only, rather than staying overnight.
There is significant scope to grow the tourism economy, by encouraging people to stay longer and by attracting more visitors. Herefordshire lacked a contemporary Destination Management Plan (DMP) and writing a county-wide DMP was deemed a priority by the Marches Local Enterprise Partnership (MLEP). Funding to support this was allocated under the Growth Programme of the Rural Development Programme for England (RDPE). Brightspace, on behalf of Herefordshire's Sustainable Food and Tourism Partnership, submitted a successful proposal.
You can download the Destination Plan for Rural Herefordshire documents below:
- Convenes the Herefordshire Sustainable Food and Tourism Partnership, which provides strategic oversight for the local tourism economy. The Partnership comprises local tourism associations, Visit Herefordshire, independent consultants and strategically important organisations such as Herefordshire Council, the Duchy of Cornwall and the National Farmers Union.
- Wrote and submitted a successful bid to the Growth Programme.
- Became the Accountable Body (ie. legally responsible) for producing the Destination Plan.
- Wrote the tendering specifications for the consultants (Jenny Beard, Cathy Meredith) who were appointed after a competitive tendering process.
- Provides administrative support to the project.
After publication, Brightspace will continue to play a major role in the implementation of the plan through its contribution to HSFTP.
Visit Herefordshire and Herefordshire Council have collaborated to write a separate Destination Management Plan (DMP) for Hereford City. You can view this document below.
The DMP for Hereford City and the DMP for Rural Herefordshire are also available below as a combined document.